Dear Skin of Color Society Friend:
We are pleased to inform you about an exciting society,
The Skin of Color Society. The Society is led by a distinguished
Board of Directors which includes Drs. Andrew Alexis, Cheryl Burgess, Valerie Callender,
Aditya Gupta, Rebat Halder,
Victoria Holloway Barbosa, Harvey Lui, Amy McMichael, Amit Pandya, Marta Rendon and David Rodriquez.
The Skin of Color Society is a professional dermatologic organization established in 2004 by Susan C. Taylor, M.D. and is dedicated
to promoting awareness of and excellence within the area of special interest of dermatology, skin of color.
Individuals with skin of color include but are not limited to individuals of Asian, Hispanic or Latino,
African, Native American, Pacific Island, or Multi-racial descent.
The mission of the society is as follows:
- To promote, support, develop and stimulate information about all aspects of skin of color within
the specialty of dermatology and to the general population.
- To provide a forum for the exchange of the information pertaining to skin of color.
- To promote the education of physicians, residents and non-physician scientists, media, government,
and third parties, (i. e. managed care and insurance organizations), and the general public regaurding
the unique properties, reaction patterns and diseases that occur in individuals with skin of color by encouraging
courses in skin of color and other related topics at scientific meetings and dermatology training centers.
- To advance the scientific study of, and promote investigational research of skin of color including
basic science, clinical, surgical, and cosmetic issues.
- To promote an increase in the body of dermatological literature concerning skin of color.
- To provide collaborative opportunities for established members and mentoring opportunities for
younger members and individuals interested in the field of skin of color.
Benefits of Membership
- Participation in an international community of dermatologists and scientists committed to skin
of color dermatology.
- Access to the physician only educational section of the website (http://www.skinofcolorsociety.org).
- Access to abstracts and summaries of annual scientific symposia.
- Receipt of the semi-annual Skin of Color Society educational publication.
- Participation in the annual Skin of Color Society Scientific Symposium.
We are delighted that you will join us in promoting awareness of and excellence within the area of
special interest of dermatology, skin of color. The Society seeks to support its members with educational
programming and investigational research opportunities so that each member may make a difference in
the lives of their patients.
Valerie D. Callender, MD